McLaren 720S is about pushing the limits of possibility again. It is about supercars and the will to feel the power and excitement. Robert Melville, the chief designer at McLaren Automotive, appreciated the appearance of this car:
“Every profile, every curve of this car has been deigned for maximum driver engagement.”
In fact, the presentation of McLaren 720S says it all about the high performances of a really fast car.
McLaren presented their new car at Geneva Auto Show. Thus, McLaren 720S is the new version to replace McLaren 650s and strong enough to compete with Ferrari 488 GTB. Even though, at a first glance, there are no major differences between the two models, you will quickly learn that there are significant ones. The producers declared that 720S is definitely lighter and faster than 650S. Also, the aerodynamics is superior.
Important features to make McLaren 720S a supercar
Everything about the contours of this car makes it distinctly McLaren. However, there are some details that make it distinguish from previous models. Moreover, designers claim to have inspired from a famous hunting machine, the Great White Shark. As a consequence, the new McLaren proves to be exquisite, regarding both form and function.
McLaren built their new supercar on a modified carbon chassis. Thus, they used aluminium alloys as well as body panels. It is a 4.0-litre (3994 cc) twin-turbo V8 engine, that produces 720 PS at 7000 rpm. The total weight is over 1,270 kg. All these features make McLaren 720S go from 0-62 mph in 2.9 seconds and 0-124 mph in 7.8 seconds. The top speed is 220mph (360 km/h) and the car will complete the 1/4 mile in 10.3 seconds.
The design is really ingenious. The producers wanted a true aerodynamic car with the twin-hinged dihedral doors. Even though the car seems to lack radiator intakes on the side of the car, the engineers chose to put them inside the doors. Air channels inside the doors redirect the air to the engine. Thus, the new design allows the air to flow, reducing the drag. It seems that they finally found a solution to an old issue previously affecting all McLaren cars. Thus, it improves the cooling process by 15 percent. At the same time, it provides more stability, due to an advanced suspension system.
Another strong point for Mclaren 720S is the rear wing. It automatically activates when the driver needs to increase speed.
The rear wing is hydraulically operated and gives it three main operational positions:
- Driver downforce – pushing the Aero button delivers the necessary downforce and balance for optimal performance during cornering.
- DRS delivers drag reduction when accelerating in a straight line and up to maximum speed.
- High Speed Braking – when fully deployed, the wing shifts the aero-balance by 20% to improve high speed braking stability and overall braking distances.
Exterior design for McLaren 720S
It is obvious that this new car from McLaren sets a major change in the design of previous cars:
- A futuristic appearance, with a layered ‘shrink-wrapped’ bodywork providing elegant well-defined proportions
- Slim windscreen pillars and glazed C-pillars that taper from the roof in a distinctive teardrop motif
- Aggressively contoured front bumper.
- Digital LED headlights integrated within ‘eye-sockets’
- Static Adaptive Headlights optimizing headlight performance by changing the directional light intensity through steering input
- Double-skinned dihedral doors
Thus, with the new technology on board, McLaren 720S provides a driver better visibility through corners, increases comfort and safety.
There are three variants for 720S: Standard, Performance și Luxury.
The starting price is 240,000 euros in Great Britain.