Is sport an option after you turn 40 years old?
Mostly, this is a question that often arises when people realize they have been inactive their entire life. At the same time, it can be addressed to people who stopped practicing sport due to certain health issues. It is very important to acknowledge that at this age, our body changes essentially. Therefore, this enhances the risks of obesity as well as different diseases. If we do not do anything to stop our body from damaging, we may find ourselves in danger. We lose muscle mass and gain more fat percentage. Thus, the body gets weaker and it needs more time to regenerate. There is a high risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart diseases, stroke or even cancer.
It is no wonder that even after 40 years old, people start thinking seriously about practicing some sports or simply doing some physical exercises. This becomes a very good solution to keep you fit and healthy.
However, if you plan to start practicing sport after you turn 40 years old, you need to take into account some general facts.
- At 40 years old, the body is less resistant to effort or trauma.
- It is advisable to try testing your resistance and not your strength. For instance, choose running for long or medium distances rather than sprint.
- Choose practicing sports under supervision. A good trainer will know how to guide you through, so that you prevent accidents from happening.
- Go to the gym for a few months. Alternate different types of exercises and equipment, For example, you can alternate on cardio workout with treadmills or magnetic bikes. The mai aim needs to be putting our body right on track.
- Make some medical tests regularly. It is very important to talk to your doctor about your intentions. You might want to have an electrocardiogram or an X-ray right before you intend to start workout. This way, you will learn more about your body, about limits and about how appropriate some exercises are.
These are only few hints on how to protect your body from being damaged if you plan to do sports after you turn 40 years old. Monitor your activity, your heath and the results. And, of course, keep in mind that the main objective is to keep you healthy.